HIM ROMANIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HIM ROMANIA

Romanian HIM Forum

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

McIlroy shares Hong Kong lead

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fiona18
Heartache Every Moment
Heartache Every Moment

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-10-13

McIlroy shares Hong Kong lead Empty
PostSubject: McIlroy shares Hong Kong lead   McIlroy shares Hong Kong lead Icon_minitimeMon 5 Dec 2011 - 4:00

World number two Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland launched his quest for a first victory at the UBS Hong Kong Open with a masterful six-under-par 64 for the joint first round lead on Thursday.
The reigning U.S. Open champion tamed swirling winds at the Hong Kong Golf Club to sink six birdies and was joined at the top of the leaderboard by big-hitting Spaniard Alvaro Quiros and England's David Horsey.( Titleist 712 CB Irons)
Two-time champion Miguel Angel Jimenez of Spain maintained his love-affair with the UBS Hong Kong Open with a solid 65 to trail by one while Asia's best finishers were current Asian Tour number one Juvic Pagusan of the Philippines, Korean star Y.E. Yang and Thailand's Kiradech Aphibarnrat on 68s.
McIlroy has come agonizingly close to Titleist 712 CB Irons victory in Hong Kong with two runner-up finishes and a sixth place outing in the past three years and issued a warning to his rivals with an outstanding display. Despite his superb effort, the McIlroy termed his day as "routine."
"It was very good. You know, it was a very solid round of golf. I didn't make a mistake. Six birdies, no bogeys is always a nice way to start the tournament. It was all pretty routine," said a delighted McIlroy.
"I just gave myself a lot of chances. I think I hit 17 greens. I hit a lot of fairways and just kept giving myself opportunities and I was able to take a few, which was nice. There's a long way to go, over 54 holes. I'll have to play Titleist 712 CB Ironsvery, very well to pick up this trophy."
The swashbuckling McIlroy, who won his first Major title in June, was delighted with the way he handled the swirling winds which sent scores soaring. "It swirls in these trees. You can feel it one minute downwind and the next minute it's right to left and you just really have to trust where the wind is coming from. I was able to do that today. All in all, I was able to handle the Titleist 712 CB Irons pretty well," he said.
Big-hitting Quiros, a five-time winner on the European Tour, chipped in twice, once for eagle at the par five 12th hole and the second at the closing hole from off the green for birdie. "I think you have to be lucky to shoot low under these conditions," said the 28-year-old.
He conceded he got lucky with his Titleist 712 CB Irons at the 12th hole. "I was trying to hit a three quarter eight iron and I blocked it a little bit and I put it pin high, and I found the hole. So two chip ins," he said.
"You know, I don't feel nothing comfortable on this golf course. All of the shots are right to left. Most of the time you are hitting from I would say a fade/carry. It's never consistent."
Back to top Go down
http://www.luckygolf18.com

McIlroy shares Hong Kong lead
Page 1 of 1