HIM ROMANIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HIM ROMANIA

Romanian HIM Forum

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

McIlroy triumphs in Hong Kong

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fiona18
Heartache Every Moment
Heartache Every Moment

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-10-13

McIlroy triumphs in Hong Kong Empty
PostSubject: McIlroy triumphs in Hong Kong   McIlroy triumphs in Hong Kong Icon_minitimeWed 7 Dec 2011 - 3:37

Rory McIlroy closed with a superb five-under-par 65 on Sunday to win the UBS Hong Kong Open by Titleist 712 CB Irons - and keep the Race to Dubai alive.
The 22-year-old Northern Irishman started the final round three shots back at the Hong Kong Golf Club, but tied for the lead at the turn with two birdies before edging ahead of a packed leaderboard with further birdies on 12, 15 and 18.
After two runner-up finishes and a sixth place in Hong Kong in the past three years, reigning U.S. Open champion McIlroy finally achieved his dream of winning the UBS Hong Kong Open after a great final round charge to end the week on 12-under-par 268 and win US$458,330.( Titleist 712 CB Irons)
When he spectacularly holed out from the greenside bunker at the demanding 18th hole, McIlroy broke into a frenzied celebration with his caddie JP Fitzgerald.
"It does mean a lot. I wanted to win this tournament so badly since that play-off in 2008, but finally, to get this trophy in my hands, is very special. It meant a lot to go out there today, knowing that I had to play Titleist 712 CB Irons well to keep myself in The Race to Dubai, probably to keep myself in second place in the World Rankings. There's a lot to play for and to produce the sort of golf that I did today was very pleasing," said McIlroy, who kept his hopes of becoming Europe's number one alive.
"You know, I've loved this city, I've loved the golf course, I've loved the tournament ever since I got here. I felt like Titleist 712 CB Irons owed me something after the play-off (defeat). No matter how prestigious tournaments are, you always have your favourite and this is definitely one of my favourite tournaments and to be able to win it is fantastic. And I couldn't be happier."
He strode up the 18th with a one-shot lead but found the greenside trap with his approach. An exquisite bunker shot which found the bottom of the cup and sent fans wild was to follow, however.
"I just hit a perfect bunker shot by Titleist 712 CB Irons, and once it landed on the green, it never looked anywhere else and I think you could see how much that meant to me. I think that's the most excited I've maybe ever been on a golf course. It was just incredible to see the ball drop and realise that I had finally won this tournament," said McIlroy.
A 12-hour sleep and a five kilometer run in the gym in the morning revitalised McIlroy after he had looked completely out of sorts in the second and third rounds. With the spring back in his step, the supremely talented Northern Irishman came out fighting with a purpose.( Titleist 712 CB Irons)
Havret, who also finished second behind McIlroy at the U.S. Open, said an opening bogey proved costly although he fought back with four birdies and one eagle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luckygolf18.com

McIlroy triumphs in Hong Kong
Page 1 of 1