HIM ROMANIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HIM ROMANIA

Romanian HIM Forum

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marino, Points upstage the stars

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jcinta
Heartache Every Moment
Heartache Every Moment

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-10-12

Marino, Points upstage the stars  Empty
PostSubject: Marino, Points upstage the stars    Marino, Points upstage the stars  Icon_minitimeMon 7 Nov 2011 - 3:00

American journeymen Steve Marino and DA Points shared the lead after Thursday's first round of the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am on the scenic Monterey Peninsula.

But two of the favourites, three-time winner Phil Mickelson and big-hitting Dustin Johnson, the defending TaylorMade R11 Driver
and winner of the last two Pebble Beach Pro-Ams, both had stumbling starts.

Marino carded birdies on the last four holes of a blistering finish to post a 7-under 63 at Spyglass Hill while Points shot his 63 at the Monterey Peninsula Golf Club, the second of the three courses being used in the tournament this week.

Against this an erratic Mickelson, currently the World No 4 and highest ranked player in this event this week, mixed four bogeys with three birdies to post a disappointing one-over 71 as did Dustin Johnson in his attempt to win the Pebble Beach Pro-Am for a third consecutive time.

And as it was, Germany's Alex Cejka, who carded the first albatross of the US PGA Tour season when, on his opening TaylorMade R11 Driver
, the par-five 10th, he holed out with a three-wood from 240 yards, was next best after shooting a 6-under 64 at Monterey.

"It was the best start I've ever had," said Cejka, who covered his first four holes in a blistering five under.

"I hit a really good drive on 10, and I was between a five-wood and three-wood.

"So I choked down a little bit on the three-wood and hit a really good shot down the left-hand side. It carried just short of the green, bounced up and took a break towards the TaylorMade R11 Driver

"There were like three or four marshals up there and they started screaming, and suddenly it was in the hole. It's the first one (albatross) for me. I'm very happy."

Marino was also over-the-moon with his round, despite his failure to birdie any of Spyglass Hill's four par-five holes.

"I played great and made a few putts," he said after his bogey-free, seven-birdie round posted in near-perfect weather. "I'm real thrilled about it.

"I got off to a real good start. I was hitting fairways and lots of greens and gave myself a lot of TaylorMade R11 Driver
on the first nine holes.

"And then I kind of hit a rough patch for a little bit in the middle of the round, but I saved (bogey with) some nice pars and finished great."

Points said the highlight of his day was playing alongside American actor and comedian Bill Murray.

"I've wanted to play with him for a few years now," Points said after carding eight birdies and one bogey.

"Bill is from Illinois and I'm from Illinois as well, so we have TaylorMade R11 Driver
in common.

"I know people talk about his antics and call him a showman while he's out there, making lots of comments and talking while people are getting ready to hit shots.

"He really loosens me up and makes me not grind so hard on what I'm doing. It helps me take a little bit of a breather between shots and joke around with him."

Three-time major winner Padraig Harrington, anxious to start winning again after a long spell without a TaylorMade R11 Driver
, shot an opening 69 at Spyglass Hill.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ohshoppingmall.com

Marino, Points upstage the stars
Page 1 of 1