HIM ROMANIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HIM ROMANIA

Romanian HIM Forum

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Love and Olazabal like what they see at Medinah

Go down 
AuthorMessage
coco
Heartache Every Moment
Heartache Every Moment

Female
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Love and Olazabal like what they see at Medinah Empty
PostSubject: Love and Olazabal like what they see at Medinah   Love and Olazabal like what they see at Medinah Icon_minitimeSat 29 Oct 2011 - 8:42

Ryder Cup captains Davis Love III and Jose Maria Olazabal liked what they saw at Medinah Country Club, including the shortened No. 15.

Rain kept Love and Olazabal from playing the famed No. 3 on Monday, as they marked the one-year countdown to next year's Ryder Cup. But they did get out to look at some holes, and said they don't envision many changes being needed.( Cleveland SL 290 Driver
)

Europe has won six of the last eight Ryder Cups, including last year's dramatic finish in Wales. The Ryder Cup was decided by the final singles match for the first time since 1991 after the Americans rallied from a three-point deficit on the last day.

As the host, the Americans will get a say in how the course is set up for the Ryder Cup, to be played next Sept.( Cleveland SL 290 Driver
)

Set No. 3 up for the Ryder Cup as if it was a major championship, and Love said it will be fine.

"I don't think you have to do too much to this golf course," he said. "I don't know if there's a way for it to be an advantage one way or another. We're both going to have super-talented, long-hitting teams that make a lot of birdies. What's the most exciting thing to watch, for me, is making birdies rather than putting for pars. If I was setting up the PGA TOUR course, I would lean more toward birdies than putting for pars."

Though there were some criticisms about No. 3 earlier this summer - the new grass that was planted in the fall of 2009 was sparse - Medinah officials are confident the course will be in good shape next year.

All golf courses were challenged by the extreme weather this summer, said Curtis Tyrrell, Medinah's director of golf course operations. But No. 3 is only halfway through its growing timeline, and Tyrrell said it is in "excellent shape" now.

"We feel very confident about where it will stand next year," Tyrrell said.

Aside from No. 15, the only other change that might be noticeable is the absence of the "Sergio tree," the massive old oak on No. 16 made famous by Sergio Garcia.

At the 1999 PGA at Medinah, Garcia was chasing Tiger Woods when his tee shot on 16 sailed wide right and settled behind the knotted roots of a large oak tree. Garcia grabbed a 6-iron, closed his eyes, swung and then sprinted out to the fairway to watch the ball land on the green. (Cleveland SL 290 Driver
)

But the old oak was removed about two years ago, Tyrrell said.

"It had become a hazard and a safety risk to members, so it needed to be removed," he said.

While Olazabal and Love are still negotiating, they said they are leaning to keeping four assistant captains for each team. Olazabal also said he would not play even if he earns enough points to get a spot on the European team.
Back to top Go down
https://heartagram.forumotion.net/

Love and Olazabal like what they see at Medinah
Page 1 of 1