HIM ROMANIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HIM ROMANIA

Romanian HIM Forum

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gas Biography

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
vampireheart

vampireheart

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-07-04

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeWed 4 Jul 2007 - 10:15

Gas  Biography 3e46et4

Whole name: Mika Kristian Karppinen

Birthtime and -place:08.02.1971 Eskilstuna, Sweden

Nicknames:Kaasu, Gas Lipstick, Miksu, Mike Ceer, Baby Cognac, Buddha Cognac, Peter Hornström.

Tattoos:Heartagram and chinese mark (drum) on his left calf.
Some kind of creatures on his arms.

Other instruments:Singing and guitars in his former bands.

Passions:Icehockey and player Mario Lemieux #66 in Pittsburgh Penguines, NHL.

Bad habits:He used snuff since 7-year old.

Family:His parents are finnish who were moved to Sweden before Kaasu was born. Father worked for Volvo and mother worked in bakery. Parents met themselves in Sweden, they were not couple before.
Kaasu have got no sisters or brothers.

Drumming:Kaasu started to knock different materials and he listened what kind of noise there is coming when he was only 2 years old.
The start for drumming is that his father played in accordion at the club in Sweden and Kaasu follows him to that club. There he plays drums and he liked to play drums and he often waited that moment when father is going again to that club and he can play drums again...

First touch to music:When other guys wanted to have legos, Kaasu wants instruments. First instruments he had when he was 3 and those instruments were toydrums, little piano and miniguitar for a present at christmas. When Kaasu was 4 he liked the music of Irwin (finnish 'propagandasinger'), but KISS was the first big thing for him, he was 6 then.
He was friend with Harri Mänty who nowadays plays guitar in Kent and they were in same school when they're kids. Once they checked the records of Harri's bigbrother and found Destroyer by KISS. They think that KISS is very cool and they asked Harri's bigbrother to play Destroyer and they liked a lot what they heard. One day decided to play KISS in the school in playback. Teachers painted their faces, Kaasu was Gene Simmons and Harri was Paul Stanley. They 'played' with brushes couple of songs and that's how the music takes the mind of little Kaasu.

Kaasu & cooking:Special food made by Kaasu is makkarasiili (sausage-hedgehog), materials for it is: whole HK:n sininen lenkki (finnish special 2-packed sausage that's not sold in everywhere else), drill 6 holes to it (3 per each other), put Frankfurt sausages (nakki in finnish) in upright position to holes (HK:n perinteiset nakit is best choice for it), cut the ends of Frankfurt sausages like there is crosses on the top of them ('laughing Frankfurt sausages'), then put all the stuff to oven. There is also different version of makkarasiili that's same kind like below but it's covered by cheese and mustard. Kaasu uses beer as a drink with makkarasiili...

Schoolyears in Sweden:He was in finnish school in Eskilstuna, but he also learned to speak swedish because half of his friends speaks it. By the way, in Eskilstuna is lot of finnish people who were moved there from Finland and they're trying to keep their culture in Sweden.

Bands in Sweden:First real band was found when Kaasu was 8, he played guitar and Harri Mänty played drums. There is guy called Kari who sang in that band. They played coverversions of Eppu Normaali, what is very famous band in Finland. Eppu Normaali is first finnish rockband that sold over 1 million records in Finland.

In early 1980's Kaasu played guitar in different punkbands in Eskilstuna and first gig was 1981 at 'house built for kids'. Sex Pistols was second big thing after KISS.
in 1982 he joined to the band called Hairless Future, there were skinhead as a singer and other guys were punks and older than Kaasu. Kaasu went to test where he shows how he plays. He plays with his ears, he found melodies and chords by listening music, he doesn't need notes for it. He learned to play punk by listening records he had and so he planned to go that test for Hairless Future. The rest of the band asked Kaasu to play song after song and they finally found that this little kid can play anything they asked and Kaasu was going to be the member of the band. Parents of Kaasu doesn't accept that little kid wears coat full of rivets and hair tied up with soap. But that's only appearance, Kaasu was very kind kid.

Back to Finland/Valvontakomissio:The family of Kaasu moved back to Finland when he was 13. First Kaasu was very disappointed for living in strange country, all of friends were in Eskilstuna, he cried that he wants to come back home for half of a year...
In first summer in Finland his father said to him that in Kirkkonummi (west from Helsinki) is camp including music and father asked that 'do you want to go there?'. Kaasu went there and he was really nervous with the guitar in his hand. He surprisely found couple of punk-oriented guys there and final result of them was band called Valvontakomissio. Kaasu noticed that in Finland is also cool guys who could be his friends and things goes on again...
They made demorecord with Valvontakomissio (committee that controls accomplishing the peace treaty. Committee been formed of winning states.) in that camp and after camp they started to create more songs and made couple of records. Guitar was changed to drums in their first record and Kaasu also sings in that record.

Dementia:After Valvontakomissio he was a member of band called Dementia. Band was inspired by Slayer and Exodus, they played some kind of thrash metal. Kaasu played guitars and sings. There is one record made by Dementia.

Kyyria:Mikael Tanner -guitarist of Kyyria- found Kaasu with Dementia and he started to talk about his band Kyyria. He asked Kaasu to play drums in Kyyria. Kaasu played in 7 bands in those days and Kaasu starts to explain that 'there is no time...'. Mikael played demo of Kyyria to Kaasu and there is one song that took the interest of Kaasu. Kaasu was started to listen heavy and because Kyyria played heavy, Kaasu comes in and they started to search for other guys to the band.
Kyyria made 3 albums and when they're on the top of their success, they decided to split-up by their musical differences.

Between Kyyria and HIM:When Kyyria is over, Kaasu started to tour with Stratovarius as a drumtechnician.

Occupation:He read himself to carpenter and he worked that thing until he went to HIM.

In HIM:Kaasu was the friend of HIM-guys and when Pätkä was fired and they can't play without drummer in their gigs, they asked Kaasu to play temporary in the band. Kaasu played first gig with HIM in Dortmund in the end of march 1999. That tour contains 11 shows and in the middle of the last one Ville said to audience that 'here is our new drummer Kaasu' and after that day Kaasu were been the part of HIM...

Sideprojects:Bendover, trio for big men, rule for being a member of this band is minimum of weight (100 kg).
Ääritila (extreme condition), contains 2 swedish guys (Jallo in guitars and Jocke in bass) and Lazze in vocals (known as a singer of Riistetyt). Kaasu plays drums in both of the bands.

Equipment:drums: Tama Starclassic Maple
cymbals: Paiste
Shure endorsement-earmonitors
Back to top Go down
Jaana
Close To The Flame
Close To The Flame
Jaana

Female
Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeTue 11 Sep 2007 - 19:55

I love Gas, he's always sweet with the fans I love you
wow i never knew he had side-projects scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/angel_eap
Errat
Gone With The Sin
Gone With The Sin

Male
Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeTue 11 Sep 2007 - 20:53

Laughing tatoos: some kind of creatures on his arms Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jaana
Close To The Flame
Close To The Flame
Jaana

Female

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeWed 12 Sep 2007 - 20:22

Razz
Back to top Go down
Errat
Gone With The Sin
Gone With The Sin

Male

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeFri 8 Feb 2008 - 0:40

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GAS!
Back to top Go down
Jaana
Close To The Flame
Close To The Flame
Jaana

Female

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeFri 8 Feb 2008 - 2:25

Image hosted by servimg.com
Back to top Go down
hellen troy
Close To The Flame
Close To The Flame
hellen troy

Female
Number of posts : 1010

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeFri 8 Feb 2008 - 10:13

you should live him mesasage with this one on myspace Gas  Biography 483844 , but maybe you did that already Wink
Back to top Go down
Jaana
Close To The Flame
Close To The Flame
Jaana

Female

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeFri 8 Feb 2008 - 13:22

of course. Smile and i was the first one to say Happy Birthday to him on there. Gas  Biography 34770
Back to top Go down
hellen troy
Close To The Flame
Close To The Flame
hellen troy

Female

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeMon 11 Feb 2008 - 13:30

interview with gas

SAD BUT TRUE - H.I.M. DRUMMER GAS LIPSTICK SPEAKS AS THE FINNISH GOTH ROCKERS CONTINUE TO SPREAD THEIR "LOVE METAL"

INTERVIEW by DAVID BORGIOLI-JONES ( www.rockdetector.com)

Fronted by heart throb Ville Valo, H.I.M. (short for HIS INFERNAL MAJESTY) is the Gothic Rock sensation that has swept Europe and the rest of the world. They are one of the very few acts stalking the world stages that have managed to bypass fashion formulas and carve out their own niche. Naturally H.I.M's "Dark Pop" has spawned a succession of imitators in their wake but the Finns still remain at the head of the pack and with each album release their lead only stretches out further. It was Germany that "got" H.I.M. first, with Scandinavia quickly falling into line. Recent albums have broken the band in Europe and the UK and now it seems their reach is becoming truly global at long last. (Quite incredibly the Australasian arm of BMG had no clue as to who the band was until very recently – even after over a million units had been shifted in Europe! Thankfully that picture has now changed.)

I recently spoke to drummer Mika Karppinen, a.k.a. Gas Lipstick, on the eve of the Finnish band's first tour of Australia and New Zealand.

H.I.M. is no doubt a full on occupation and in your time with the band you've seen numerous members come and go. What does it take to be a long-standing member of H.I.M.?

"Yeah, well this is what I've liked to do since I was a kid. I remember the first time that I decided I wanted to be a musician. That was back in 1977 when I was six years old. My best friend at the time – and he still is now – he had a big brother who was like 17, was a Metal-head, and used to play in a band at the time. We went to his place and went through his vinyl, because we didn't know what CDs were at the time (laughs), and we noticed that he had the KISS 'Destroyer' album. That's the cool one with the guys standing at the top of the hill. And we were like fucking hell this is so cool, look at these guys with masks. Then we went back to school the following day and we decided that we wanted to play a show. Our teachers they painted our faces (laughs) and we played the show, just him and me and we pretended we were KISS. I think that's probably the day when I decided that I wanted to be a musician. So for me it's a dream come true to be able to just play music and concentrate on this. I don't do any drugs, I've never tried pot in my whole life. Playing drums is my drug, I just enjoy playing, especially live. So always when I get on stage, no matter if I've had a hard day, as soon as I get on stage I feel comfortable and I'm totally happy."

Finland has produced some great bands like AMORPHIS and SENTENCED. There definitely seems to be a trademark Heavy Rock sound coming from that country. Would you say that H.I.M. has a similar sound to those groups?

"Maybe a little bit, but I think AMORPHIS are more Metal though. I always thought that we have kind of our own style. It's kind of hard to categorise what we play. The best one I've heard so far is this one bloke who said that it's a mixture of U2 and TYPE O NEGATIVE. I'm not that fond of U2 but I really like TYPE O."

Way back when H.I.M. started out you had a demo called 'Witches And Other Night Fears'. How did that recording and your other earlier material sound compared to the newer albums like 'Razorblade Romance' and 'Dark Light'?

"We've definitely grown as musicians and songwriters. I didn't play on the first album but I was there on the second one. I bought the first album as a fan. I was playing in another band at the time but I really liked the album and the sound. It's got really loud guitars and it's really heavy. With 'Razorblade Romance' we went a little bit more poppy-style but it still had heavy guitars. With every album we try to make it a little bit different. There's no point in making an album like 'Razorblade Romance' like ten times, that'd be kind of stupid. So we always try to grow as musicians. The last album is my favourite album so far. That might sound like a cliché – all the artists think their latest album is the best one – but I think as musicians we pulled it off really nicely with the new one. I really like what I hear on the album. Myself, at least, I tried to play a little bit more compared to the old albums. They were very straightforward drumming but on the new one I tried to bring a little bit more to it drum-wise."

While you’re on tour are you writing any new material and do you have plans for the next H.I.M. album?

"Ville is writing some songs but we don't like to practise any new songs on tours. Before this tour myself, Ville, and our bass player Migé (Amour) went to the practice room just to jam. Ville was playing guitar and we just created some riffs basically, but we don't have a single song ready yet. We just have bits and pieces. It's still too early and we've been touring a lot and we haven't had the time. But hopefully in the summer we'll go back to the rehearsal room and try to create something. But I think we won't expect a release until before next year. If you're lucky it'll maybe be near March next year or something. We probably won't be able to hit the studio before the end of this year anyway because we're still touring. After New Zealand we go home for two weeks, then after that we do an UK tour, and after that an American tour that lasts until mid-June. Then we have festivals. After the summer we go back to the US to do another tour and then hopefully we're doing a South American tour and when that's finished we're somewhere in October and then we have to start to write music (laughs). If we're lucky we'll hit the studio in January or February at the earliest."

You recorded the 'Razorblade Romance' album in a studio out in the country. What was it like recording there and did you enjoy it more than using commercial recording facilities in the city?

"Yeah we did 'Razorblade Romance' in a residential studio that was a farmhouse in Wales. But that one was special. Of course the weather was much better than in Finland (laughs). We lived in the studio as well and I personally really like to record that way because you can totally focus on the actual recording when you stay in the studio. You live there, you kind of breath the air 24/7, and you wake up, have a coffee and walk for like 20 seconds and you're in the studio. The thing when you record back home in Finland is that you always go back home after the day, you have your day routines and you have to pay your bills, you know the normal thing. But when you're abroad you don't think about that because you don't get to see your home and you just concentrate on the actual recording. It's very comfortable and I think you can sense a different vibe in the record. I don't know if the audience feels the same but I hear a difference. That session was probably the fastest I ever did in my whole life. We did 14 songs – we recorded a couple of extra songs – in two days which is really fast for me. I've been in this business for a long time, I'm a bit older than the other guys and I’ve played on like 25 albums so I've done a lot of studio work. But that album was probably the easiest and the most comfortable session I've ever done in my whole life."

Have you guys thought about recording back in Finland?

"We don't know yet? The last album we recorded in the US in Los Angeles and the previous one we did in Finland. But it was mixed in Los Angeles. We've been talking about it, but we really liked working with Tim Palmer (in the US). We seemed to have a really good chemistry and he's a really nice bloke. It's still an option to record another one with him but we haven't decided yet, it's too early."

Originally you were going to have the 'Dark Light' album mixed by Andy Wallace, but that didn't end up happening. Why was that?

"If I remember right he mixed three songs but to us it didn't sound right. Don't get me wrong, he's a really good guy and he makes a great sound but to us it sounded too American… too Nu-Metal. We had to pass and we let Tim Palmer mix it."

What about your side projects, like your Grindcore band TO SEPARATE THE FLESH FROM THE BONES? Have you recently been working with that band or do you have any others on the go at the moment?

"I've got plenty. I've got three projects that I'm working on all the time whenever I've got the time. Of course H.I.M. is my number one band but whenever I'm at home I try to write songs in my other bands. TO SEPARATE THE FLESH FROM THE BONES is in the style of music from the scene I grew up with – the Punk Hardcore and Thrash/Death Metal scene. It's nice to play blast beats (laughs). I really enjoy playing Grindcore and fast music and I always enjoy playing different kinds of music. I've always had like several bands that I'm playing in at the same time since day one. I don't know why but I guess I just enjoy playing music with many different guys and I think it makes you grow as a musician. It's great fun, just enjoy, have a couple of beers and create music. And I've got a Hardcore Punk band. We sing in Finnish and we've released one album and one seven inch EP. Then I've got sort of like a Metal band which is something close toMOTÖRHEAD or ENTOMBED – like the Rock'n'Roll ENTOMBED 'Wolverine Blues' – and it’s called BEND OVER (laughs). We just released an album… it's great fun."

It must be one hell of an effort finding time for all those bands while you're busy being the H.I.M drummer!

"Yeah, well the thing is, with the other bands, we practice whenever we've got the time. For instance, with the Grindcore band we don't want to practice that much because we want to keep it really raw. Like when we recorded our debut album we practised two times and went to the studio and just recorded it. We even wrote half of the material in the studio. It was amazing because we recorded everything during a long weekend from Thursday to Sunday including writing half of the album in the studio. But I think that's how Grindcore should be. Like the old school stuff… you just go in, drink a little bit of whiskey and then fucking record (laughs)... just press the record button and do it!"

Grindcore is quite a contrast with the "Love Metal" that you play in H.I.M.

"Yeah it's different of course. But with H.I.M. what I've always loved is that… well, like I said earlier, I was a fan and I bought the first album when it came out and... I don't know, I just like Ville’s songs. He writes really good songs, I like his melodies and I like the fact that they still have heavy guitars in the mixture. With H.I.M., because the music is much slower than what I'm used to playing, I hit really hard in this band. I've never broken so many sticks, so many symbols, and so many skins as with this band! (laughs). You've got more time during the songs so it makes me hit harder and my hands are totally hammered and full of blisters after we've toured (laughs). But that's Rock'n'Roll!"

Going back to H.I.M., how do you interpret the Heartagram symbol?

"Ah, the Heartagram symbol. For me it's a modern version of Yin and Yang, you know the Chinese symbol. I think it represents our music really well because we still have like really heavy guitars but we have a lot of melodies you know. And we sing about love but still play Metal riffs. I guess that's the thing, combining good and bad."

Can you look at that in terms of contrasting song titles as well? You've got songs like 'Your Sweet 666' and then 'Love You Like I Do'.

"Well, the Sweet '666' (laughs). We never were Satanists you know. That's more of a tribute to our 80s Heavy Metal bands that we grew up listening to. So yeah, we mix those elements and then the romantic side as well. I think that the Heartagram is a good symbol for our music."

H.I.M. has been around for a long time and you have a substantial amount of albums behind you. For those who aren't all that familiar with the band, why should they start listening?

"Hmm, that's a good question. If you like music that has really good melodies and good riffs H.I.M.'s the choice. For us, I think we have a good variety of fans. We've got a lot of skateboard fans that listen to our music, we've got a lot of Metal-heads, a lot of girls, and I think that pretty much says it – I think it's music that a lot of people can relate to, even though we have poppy melodies we are kind of a melancholic band and we still have the rough edge with Metal riffs and distorted guitars – I think it's a good mixture."

source :

http://www.rockdetector.com/interviews/artist,4148.sm
Back to top Go down
hellen troy
Close To The Flame
Close To The Flame
hellen troy

Female

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeSat 16 Feb 2008 - 1:29

interview with Gas taken after the Nalen show

New HIM - Sober and ready

Gas: I've lost 35 kilo.

That did good for valentinsday.
The Love Metal-band HIM plays at Nalen tonight also.
- We love our fans, says the swedish drummer Mika "Gas" Karppinen.
It is a little new HIM that is Stockholm.
For the first time in 15 years is the singer Ville Valo,31, sober,
after a time in a rehab senter in Finland.
-He just to be wasted all the time, now he is his old funny self again.
We play much better. And Ville Looks ten years younger, says Mika "Gas" Karppinen,36.
He comes originally from Ekilstuna, But lives now in Helsinki.
Even he has changed his habbites for the new tour.

Plays Love Metal- I'm trying to loose weight. I've lost 35 kilos in one and a half years.
I eat better, go to the gym and drink less. I'm much better shape to day.
Besides has Mika "Gas" Karppinen, meet a new girl.
But she is not with them to sweden, so he has to celabrate Valentines day with his fans.
- We play Love Metal, so to go and listend to us should be the perfect valentinsday activity.
A mix of rockhard guitars, popish melodies and romantic lyricks.
It is we that has come up with the grenrename.

You played at Nalen yesterday too, How is the gig tonight gonna be like compaired to the gig
yesterday?
- We change a few songs. But we never deside the setlist untill an hour before we go on stage,
so I've no idea what songs we're gonna play tonight.

text Ninna Prage

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesliv/article1834747.ab

Translated by Annki (heartagramboards)
Back to top Go down
just me
Heartache Every Moment
Heartache Every Moment

Female
Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeSat 16 Feb 2008 - 22:46

Ville didn't go to rehab in Finland, but I do agree he looks much younger now that he's stopped being drunk 24/7.
Back to top Go down
Jaana
Close To The Flame
Close To The Flame
Jaana

Female

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2008 - 0:59

yay for Gas! shedding so many pounds(kilos) is bound to make him healthier...they're all fighters Gas  Biography 577809
and Ville, yes, he undoubtedly looks better.he's shining.
Back to top Go down
Errat
Gone With The Sin
Gone With The Sin

Male

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2008 - 18:11

wow, 35... that's a lot! Well done Gas!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hellen troy
Close To The Flame
Close To The Flame
hellen troy

Female

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2008 - 20:07

and a new girlfriend !!! i'm very happy for him Gas  Biography 34770 !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gas  Biography Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Biography   Gas  Biography Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gas Biography
Page 1 of 1