HIM ROMANIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HIM ROMANIA

Romanian HIM Forum

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Simpson wins Boston play-off

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fiona18
Heartache Every Moment
Heartache Every Moment

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Simpson wins Boston play-off Empty
PostSubject: Simpson wins Boston play-off   Simpson wins Boston play-off Icon_minitimeWed 23 Nov 2011 - 3:14

Webb Simpson blazed home with birdies on each of the last three holes and then won a play-off at the second extra hole to claim his PGA Tour title No 2 this year.
More important, that title just happened to have been won in the Deutsche Bank Championship, the second leg of the FedEx Cup four-series Play-offs, and has set him up as one of the strongest contenders to win the Cup's $10 million bonanza for the player with the most points after the Cup finale, The Tour Championship, in Atlanta later this month..( Titleist 712 MB Irons)
Simpson out-ran most of his rivals, including Luke Donald, Jason Day, Adam Scott and Charl Schwartzel in the TPC Boston race, those three late birdies taking him to a 15-under 269 total, but he couldn't shake off dogged, fellow-American Chez Reavie.
In fact Reavie looked as if he was about to win coming down the 18th - until he found some ugly rough beside the final green, airmailed the hole with his chip, came up short with his return shot and then missed the 12-foot putt he needed to win
Simpson, who had showed no emotion as he stood with his wife and baby watching Reavie's vital stumble, was just as icy cool when he won the resultant sudden-death play-off at the second extra hole by sinking an eight-foot birdie putt after Reavie had missed his attempt there from 23 feet.
England's World No 1 Luke Donald, who led the final round at one stage until he ran into a double-bogey, bogey stretch, carded a closing 67 to tie for third at 13 under, level with American Brandt Snedeker (66) and Australian Jason Day (68). (Titleist 712 MB Irons)
"I told somebody that I thought winning for the second time might be easier but it certainly wasn't. It was tough," Simpson, who his first PGA Tour title at last month's Wyndham Championship, told a TV presenter after his greatest victory
"To finish the way I did, and birdie 17 in the playoff, was awesome."
It's awesome indeed.
The 26-year-old's $1.44 million first prize moved him to the top of both the FedEx Cup and US Money winners standings with total prize money so far this year of over $5.3 million and clinched his place in the US Presidents Cup team.
Reavie, who started the season playing on a medical exemption, rocketed from 87th place to ninth in the FedEx Cup standings with his runner-up finish.
The leading 70 players in the points standings move on to next week's BMW Championship in Illinois before the top 30 qualify for the Tour Championship finale at Atlanta.
Simpson made a blistering start to the final round, reaching the turn in six-under 30, but he slowed after that with a bogey at the 10th and failed to make any further progress until those three closing birdies that cut Reavie's lead to one.
Simpson believed he was about to come up just short in his own title bid as he stood watching his rivals progress on the closing hole.
"I figured my chances were one in a hundred," Simpson said. "He played Titleist 712 MB Ironsso well today, my hat's off to him. One thing I will say, though, is that on 18 there was a tricky pin and if you pulled it a little, it easily went over the green."
Reavie did exactly that and ended up bogeying the hole despite having a Titleist 712 MB Irons in his hand for his third shot from just 117 yards.
"My game plan with a one-shot lead was to lay it up, wedge it on and make a par," Reavie said. "That's all I had to do and there was no risk in that unless you hit a wedge over the green."
Back to top Go down
http://www.luckygolf18.com

Simpson wins Boston play-off
Page 1 of 1