HIM ROMANIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HIM ROMANIA

Romanian HIM Forum

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Woods spreading love of golf to Ithaca College women's team

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tutu

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-09-14

Woods spreading love of golf to Ithaca College women's team Empty
PostSubject: Woods spreading love of golf to Ithaca College women's team   Woods spreading love of golf to Ithaca College women's team Icon_minitimeSat 8 Oct 2011 - 7:54

There are many ways to measure a golfer's performance. But only one stat really matters: the score.
At Ithaca College, the women's golf team is lowering scores at a rapid clip thanks to the husband-and-wife coaching duo of Dan and Sandra Wood -- who both know a thing or two about low scores, too, having won state titles in the past year.
The Woods have helped IC get on the Division III golf map. The team, coming off its second consecutive Empire 8 championship, will compete at the ECAC championships starting today at Midvale Country Club in Penfield.
"They both have done an excellent job," said Ithaca athletics director Ken Kutler. "The glass is always half-filled rather than half-empty with Dan. His positive qualities are transferred to his players. It is no surprise to me the program has developed like it has."
The Woods started working with the team in 2009. In the 2 1/2 years since they started, the IC team has gone from shooting a two-day team score of 950 at a tournament at Vassar College to shooting a 668 this season to win the Empire 8 tournament.
Since starting a team, the school has improved its facilities -- players can now practice indoors during the winter. And the players have worked on their individual games.
But ask most people around the program and they will point to the Woods as the driving force.
"After the first season, I think I gave everybody on the team a little confidence," Dan Wood said recently. "I said, 'If they stuck with the program and practiced harder with a little structure -- and maybe learned a few things from the Wood family -- that they could improve to be decent golfers.'"
The Wood family knows a few things about golf. Dan Wood, 65, played professionally for a number of years, including a year as on The Champions Tour. He recently won the Central New York PGA Senior Championship, and finished tied for fourth in the state club professionals tournament.
Sandra Wood has won three of the five New York State Golf Association Women's Super Senior Championships, including this year, and at age 71 regularly competes against women more than 40 years her junior.
The development stems in part from Dan Wood's upbringing. His father, the late Carlton "Carp" Wood, is a member of the school's Athletic Hall of Fame. Besides golf, Dan has coached a number of college sports.
"Coaching has been in my blood for a long time," he said.
In their "semi-retirement," Dan is the chief long-game instructor while Sandra focuses on the short game. During tournaments, Dan walks the course to keep tabs on his players while Sandra drives the cart full of food, drinks, towels, rain gear and anything else players need.
"Anything can happen in a five-hour round of golf," Dan said.
Their philosophy is simple.Mizuno JPX 800 Fairway Wood They educate their players on golf tips -- they have handouts like "The Bomber 10-Step Guide to Putting," -- while and on van rides they talk about things outside of golf.
Putting athletics in perspective is important to the Woods. On Fridays, players are in class instead of at practice rounds on the courses where they will play that weekend.
"Some schools pull their players out of class on Friday," Dan said. "I am not a believer in pulling them out for their practice rounds at the Division III level. We go play the course blind."
And by the looks of things, the Woods are accomplishing another goal working together with their players.
"We wanted them to know a little bit about the game," Dan said. "We want them to enjoy playing golf for the rest of their lives."
As their coaches do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.getdiscountgolf.com

Woods spreading love of golf to Ithaca College women's team
Page 1 of 1